Directories - Bars + Restaurants

St Etheldreda’s Roman Catholic Church
14 Ely Place EC1N 6RY
St Etheldreda’s is a hidden gem sited off Holborn Circus, A beautiful building and the oldest Roman Catholic Church in England, it has a rich history recounted here: https://www.stetheldreda.co.uk/history. Mass is celebrated in English at 1 pm every weekday and at 9 am each Sunday. There is a sung Latin Mass (novus ordo) at 11 am each Sunday. St Etheldreda’s boasts a fine musical tradition, and is available for weddings and baptisms.  St Etheldreda’s Choir is one of only a few fully professional Roman Catholic church choirs in the country. It sings the Latin Mass each Sunday at 11am and on major Feast Days and Solemnities, with broad eclectic repertoire. Each month’s music schedule is available here:
Link here
St George’s Church, Bloomsbury
Bloomsbury Way WC1A 2SA
St George’s Bloomsbury is one of the twelve new churches designed and paid for under the 1711 Act of Parliament for building Fifty New Churches, and the sixth and final London church designed by the leading architect of the English Baroque, Nicholas Hawksmoor. Restored to Hawksmoor's original design, the Baroque space is at once grand and austere, spacious yet intimate. Further details of St George’s history on the Church website: https://www.stgeorgesbloomsbury.org.uk/history.htm Home to a busy concert series, St George’s hosts liturgical services with music playing a key role in supporting and enhancing the worship. It hosts the Choral Young Artist scheme (one year) designed for students or recent graduates aiming to develop their choral and solo singing. Previous choral scholars have furthered their studies at establishments such as the National Opera Studio, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, and the Opernhaus Zürich and have sung with other prominent ensembles including Tenebrae, I Fagiolini and Polyphony. The Young Artists perform music encompassing a wide variety of styles, from Renaissance motets to contemporary commissions.  The church is available to hire for evening concerts and other events that are sympathetic to a consecrated building. It has an open square space with a highly reverberant acoustic of approximately 3.0" with audience. The custom-made pews can be set out in a variety of different seating patterns. Highly suitable for chamber concerts, or for larger ensembles up to a maximum of 30 performers with an audience of 150 people per performance. Performers may use the piano (1902 Bechstein 6' grand) and/or the electric organ (Viscount Prestige IX) by arrangement. There are 10 music stands, a conductor’s rostrum and a cello box. The galleries hold a number of theatre lamps that can be adjusted to a variety of settings. Vestry Hall Built in the late nineteenth century, the Vestry House has high ceilings and is flooded with light from windows at both ends. 13m x 6.3m, seating 60 comfortably in any layout. It is let as a self-contained unit with two toilets (one wheelchair accessible), trestle tables and an upright piano. The small kitchen and the adjacent small Meeting Room can also be booked. Upper Meeting Room A small semi-circular room adjacent to the Vestry Hall, 6m x 2.5m, suitable for small groups or as a dressing room for performers.
Link here
St George the Martyr
44 Queen Square WC1N 3AH
A small church on the edge of historic Queen Square in Holborn with décor and furnishings that are a mix of historic and contemporary styles. It was built at the turn of the 18th century, as a ‘chapel of ease’ to take pressure off the growing congregation of St Andrew’s, Holborn Circus, and, as London grew beyond the city walls and Bloomsbury itself began to expand and flourish, in 1723 it was given status as a parish church in its own right. The church runs a ‘Parish Pantry’ and the Remissio gallery, open for 12 hours every week, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10am to 2pm, at its premises. The church and/or small meeting rooms are available for hire for meetings and events.
Link here
St Giles in the Fields
60 St Giles High Street WC2H 8LG
There has been a house of prayer on the site since 1101, when Queen Matilda, wife of Henry I, founded a leper hospital there, a time when St Giles lay outside the city. The hospital’s chapel became a parish church in 1542, when the parish extended from Lincoln Inn’s Fields and included all of Bloomsbury. From around 1600 St Giles began to be rebuilt as a wealthy suburb and in 1628 the church was rebuilt in its latest and most elaborate Gothic style. When the Great Plaque struck in 1665, thousands of victims were buried in pits in St Giles’ graveyard. In the early 18th century the St Giles parish was divided, and new churches were built for the parish of St George’s Bloomsbury and St Giles. Designed by Henry Flitcroft in the Palladian style, the new St Giles church was consecrated in 1733. The area became multicultural, with a population of over 30,700 by 1851, and then a site of cholera, and St Giles Rookery the iconic 19th century slum. Architects Sir Arthur Blomfield and William Butterfield made alterations to the interior between 1875-96. After the Second World War in 1952-3, the church underwent restoration deemed very successful by Sir John Betjeman. Since the 1950s the area evolved into a business and leisure destination. Denmark Street became a centre of the UK music industry in the 1960s. Centre Point, St Giles Court and most recently, Central St Giles and Outernet London, were all built in support of that change of use. The St Giles Choir is made up of c. 25 volunteers under the leadership of the director of music. St Giles in the Fields has a particular mission to provide a venue for local musicians and community groups to perform, and hosts a wide range of amateur and professional concerts, plays and performances at what is considered an exceptional venue for intimate concerts. Enquiries are encouraged from orchestras, recitalists, contemporary music groups, local community and self-help community groups. Many choral, orchestral and contemporary music groups have found the acoustics excellent and its distinctive setting ideal for drawing an audience. The Church is available as a performance and gathering space for musical, theatrical and other events accommodating 20 to 200 or from more people. The Large Vestry Room can seat up to about 30 for formal and informal meetings. For larger musical evenings it can also be hired at the same time as a green room. To hire the Church or Vestry Room for an event, please review the pricing and hiring conditions on the website and then contact the Parish Office to arrange a booking. 
Link here
Saint James’s Church Clerkenwell
Clerkenwell Close EC1R OEA
Created in 2018 by Inspire Saint James Clerkenwell, a living congregation, when All Souls Langham Place combined with St James’s Clerkenwell to create one Church of England Church, it has the highest footfall of any parish church in Islington. In 1100 a nunnery was built on the site, and in 1160 replaced by a stone church, and later rebuilt in 1625. The church that now stands here was built in 1788-1792, designed by James Carr and his only known building of importance. The spire was modelled on the spire of St Martin’s in the Fields, Trafalgar Square. The clocks in the tower were made by local clockmakers. A plaque above the door memorialises a dramatic event locally in 1867 relating to Clerkenwell’s history of radicalism. Lighting and furniture were designed by Tom Dixon for the Church. The Church, or together with the Vestry, is available for hire for concerts, recitals, exhibitions and talks, conferences, meetings and filming projects. Room capacity is 250 people downstairs, with up to 350 people with use of the balcony. The Vestry is upstairs in the main part of the building. It is suitable for a board meeting (up to 20), away-day or presentation (up to 30; 35 standing). The Crypt has six large windows, and hire includes use of the Well as a green room, break out space or for storage, and also has vaulted ceilings and parquet floor. The Crypt is suitable for conferences, meetings, product launches, exhibitions, presentations, parties, wedding receptions, wine tastings and filming. Room capacity is 25 (board room), 40 (cabaret), 50 (theatre style) or 100 (standing reception). The Long Walk situated outside the Church is ideal for a summer party or drinks reception (up to 150 people) or a photoshoot.
Link here
St Peter’s Italian Church
136 Clerkenwell Road EC1R 5EN
St. Peter's Italian Church in Clerkenwell has been described as "one of the most beautiful churches in London”, with exceptional painted ceilings and artwork, and a tranquil feel. It is the oldest church for the Italian community in London, and the largest Catholic church in the UK. At the beginning of 1800 the area of Saffron Hill where the Church is sited was a poor neighbourhood with crowded streets. By 1850 it included a population of about 2000 Italian immigrants who worked as musicians and artisans (framers and makers of mirrors, barometers and other scientific instruments). The Italians prayed in the Capella Reale Sarda in Lincoln's Inn Fields as they did not have their own church. In 1845 Saint Vincent Pallotti, Roman priest and founder of the Union of the Catholic Apostolate (Padri Pallottini), wanted to build a church for London’s Italian community. Opened in 1863, at the time it was the only church in the UK designed in the Roman basilican style. The Irish architect Sir John Miller Bryson worked from plans made by Francesco Gualandi of Bologna, modelled on the Basilica of San Crisogno in Rome.
Link here